Tuesday 29 April 2014

Food Envy

It never ceases to amaze me some of the things that my son will eat. When I was about to become a parent people use to love to tell me that "food will be the one thing you argue about most". Well, they were wrong. We argue about lots of things but not about food. 

We have issues with green stuff of course - have yet to meet a four year old who will entertain a bit of cabbage or a sprout - but pretty much of anything else he will at least have a go at. 


I had been thinking about the half kilo of mussels in my fridge all day. Lovely fresh molluscs drenched in garlic butter served with a simple salad or a little spicy rice. I practically drooled over the steering wheel of my car when I pulled in on the drive knowing that in just a few minutes those blue-black shells would be on my plate. 


Or so I thought. 

Within seconds of the shells hitting the bottom of the pan a small, smiley face had appeared at my side.  Moments after that he was tucking in at the table; empty shell in one hand, using them in a pincer fashion to prise the next one out.

There is nothing that gives you as many bragging rights as a kid who eats. Particularly one who's favourite food is mussels. And its great fun to see who can stack the shells the highest. And, note to self, next time buy twice as many! 


No comments:

Post a Comment